Consumer Complaints Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
103508 Posts in 55719 Topics by 98886 Members Latest Member: - JDSN Most online today: 348 - most online ever: 509 (June 29, 2013, 05:53:02 am)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: BeenVerified.com is Nothing but a Scam  (Read 122281 times)
notjomomma

View Profile
BeenVerified.com is Nothing but a Scam
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:19:25 am »

BeenVerified.com is Nothing but a Scam

The television commercials tell you that if you go to the website, you will get a month of free searches but when you go there, they lead you on to giving up your email, then ask for your credit card. This is nothing but a pathetic rebill scam where they say you can cancel any time during the trial period and they will not charge your card but make it impossible to cancel.

The worst part is that they lead you on to believing the search is free until they nab your email address and then they start spamming you.

I tried on search for my own records just to see what information they have on me and they asked for ,y email address so they could send me the seatial. After giving up my email, they the site directoed me to a page requesting my credit card information. I closed the browser window and within a few hours I received a spam message from them titled to look as if they were sending me the information I requested but it was just spam to get me to pay.

These type of misleading offers should be shut down by the government as they ensnare millions of consumers every year,

Stay away from BeenVerified.com at all costs, it's nothing but a scam.
Protect your rights today. Click here
Vlasta

View Profile
Re: BeenVerified.com is Nothing but a Scam
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:31 am »

You're right on. BeenVerified is a misleading ripoff company. Like you said, the commercials say that you can do a free search and when you go there, they get all your information but they never let you get a free trial search.

I went there in April 2011, was stupid enough to put my credit card in because I was hiring a nanny for my 2 year old and wanted to do some background checks. I was ok with paying for a month subscription to do the searches but after the first few searches, I realized the information they were giving me was garbage. I tried to cancel immediately on my free trial but they wouldn't let me cancel.

BeenVerfied billed me for the last 4 months and I have not been able to get them to cancel my account. I called my credit card company to do a chargeback and the customer service rep said they've had numerous problems with BeenVerified  and she told me to just report my credit card lost/stolen to stop them from billing me.

In the end I had to report my credit card as lost  to stop BeenVerified from billing me. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:35:11 am by Vlasta » Logged
Naomi_Wyerth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:13 am »

Same thing happened to me. I got billed for 3 months in a row until I had to report my credit card as stolen.

Why on earth do they need my credit card info up front for a 7 day free trial?! That's always the first clue that somethin fishy is up. Once an interweb business like this has your credit card number how do you take it away from them?! You can't.

I read several complaints on the Ripoff Report website. Most of them people claims that they searched for family members and BeenVerified showed them as having criminal records that were lies to their real backgrounds.

I searched for my deceased father who was a WWII vet and police officer for 40 years and they said he had a criminal record for armed robbery. Now, I don't know much about BeenVerified but I know my father never robbed anyone and was never in jail. It's hogwash and slander on my fathers name.

Not only is BeenVerified a scam theyre liars and thieves.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:45:00 am by Naomi_Wyerth » Logged
J.Smith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »

My name's John Smith. There are thousands of people with my same name in the US today. A friend of mine took the free trial at Been Verified and tested it on my own name. The search came back saying I had a DUI in 2007 and I was shocked when he told me. I'm a Christian father of five children and I've never drank alcohol in my life much less get a DUI.

So I went to the site to see for myself and sure enough there was my info saying I had been convicted of driving drunk. The story doesn't end there because Been Verified took my credit card number and even though I canceled the first day of my free trial they kept on billing me.

I've tried to get with their customer service to stop the charges on my credit card but this company just don't respond to my queries. With five children to feed I can't afford to get charges on my card that don't belong to me.

Glad some of you all here said what you got to do is report the credit card as stolen to stop the charges. I'm calling my credit card right now.

I don't know how these people can sleep at night.
GoNoles1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:07:04 am »

Beware. BeenVerified are also spammers.

Saw the commercial and was going to try it for free but after they got my email and info they asked for a credit card. How is that a free trial if they need your credit card? Next day I started getting pounded spam email. Bunch of crooks.
nothappy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:30 am »

wish i'd read this first. got scammed and spammed. not happy
momknowsbest13

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:32:55 pm »

Is it legal for them to just give anybody your private info whithout your permision ?

This really is more like a great tool for stalkers and a bad idea for citizens who may let thier guard down due to a false sense of security.
Battlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:56 pm »

The main thing you should know about all online background "data aggregators" like BeenVerified is that they cannot be trusted for accuracy and completeness in the first place, and what I dislike most about BeenVerified is that their commercials make it sound like they're slam-dunk accurate.  Read on to find out why their ads come very close to FALSE ADVERTISING:

1.  Data aggregators frequently return information on the wrong person.  (This has happened to me.  There's a criminal living in the next town over who has my first name, middle initial and last name.  I'll leave it to you to imagine what the "data aggregators" have done.)  I don't care if your name is Petunia Q. Fartalot, there will be someone else - and possibly lots of someones - with the same name or something close enough to get mixed up.

2.  The information that data aggregators have is ALWAYS at least somewhat out-of-date because there can be long lag times between an arrest and a conviction, or a lawsuit or bankruptcy being filed and the final disposition.  The time this takes to get entered into the court computer systems, then into the primary data source, and finally gets to a third-party vendor like BeenVerified can add up to months. Some of the information through three or four "wholesale vendors" before it gets to the "retail" vendor.  We imagine that with computers all this should happen at the speed of light - but it definitely does not.

3.  There are still many court and other government information sources that are either not computerized or that simply refuse to provide sensitive or personal information to these "aggregators".  So, for instance, they might provide a name and a conviction (which is usually public information for adults) but will provide NO other identifying information (like the individual's address - hence the misidentification between me and a burglar!).  The court name only gives a clue to the county or state of residence - maybe.

4.  Even when information does get into the database, court clerks and others who enter this information make plenty of errors, etc. and the old GIGO rule - garbage in, garbage out - applies.  The problem is...you can't tell garbage data from good data.  It all looks the same.  That rapist you met last night...well, his last name got misspelled when the clerk entered the data.  And good old BeenVerified doesn't have a clue.

5.  Juveniles commit some pretty horrendous crimes.  You'll rarely if ever find out anything about that from a data aggregator because it's usually sealed by the court or is contrary to state law to release the information.

6.  Ummm...hello?  People move - and criminals move around perhaps more often than most.  This frustrates many search results.

7.  You can get yourself into trouble if you improperly obtain personal identifying information about your "target" without their permission (and you'd better have it in writing) in order to do your background check.  This includes their DL number, their SS number, military ID, etc.  So if you think you'll just take a peek in his wallet before he wakes up the next morning - good luck.  You're getting yourself into some tall weeds doing that if he finds out.

8.  Data leaks are resulting in tighter and tighter restrictions on what information can be released by the original data sources (such as a court, a creditor, etc.).   This means that the information from retail background vendors is only going to degrade.

9.  There are millions of people with very serious problems that never come to the attention of authorities, credit agencies, etc.  In other words, they never make it into a database.  The chances are good that you know someone who has such problems.  Lots of guys beat up on their girlfriends/wives who never report them to the police - or they report them and then refuse to file charges.  There are rapists whose victims are afraid to report the crime.  There are people with mental or emotional problems who literally destroy the lives of those around them - but they commit no crimes.  THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE MOST AFRAID OF - and yet BeenVerified CANNOT HELP YOU IDENTIFY THEM!!

There is only ONE way to do a reliable background check on someone, and that is to hire an investigator who will visit courthouses to look at actual court records, phone or visit sources (education, etc.) to talk to them directly, and chase down the REAL facts about the individual.  (If they're halfway competent, they'll find out about the subject's juvenile crimes as well.  Lots of ways to do this - if you know how.)   

Bottom Line:  There's no way I would trust anything from an online background vendor, much less pay for it.  Vendors can sometimes help you with a locate on a person, but even when used for that very limited purpose, expect to wade through lots of false hits.  The main problem is the inability to be sure that the information is complete...that something critical hasn't been missed...because there's no way to tell when that happens.

Do we really think we can push a few buttons, plunk down a few bucks, and get a decent background check on someone?  Hmmm....?  BeenVerified is just playing on our own stupidity.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:58:15 pm by Battlespeed » Logged
cassandra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 06:21:37 pm »

BeenVerified is another one of those companies that are advertising all  over TV for their website. I usually never trust things I see pitched on TV because 90% are scams but I went against my best judgment and gave BeenVerified a try. I was just going to sign up for the free trial and cancel after a few days but it didn't work out as expected.

First, the information from BeenVerified is inaccurate. I searched for my brother and my boyfriend but the wrong information came up for both of them. That's a 100% failure rate so I wanted to just get out and cancel my account but they made it near impossible to cancel my free trial.

I had to call them on the phone 7, yes "7" different times and spend over 2 hours. Each person I talked to gave me a completely different runaround and two even hung up on me.  I read this review and saw the one guy say he just reported his credit card stolen to prevent BeenVerified.com from scamming him with repeat charges, so that's what I ended up doing.

That didn't stop BeenVerified from spamming my inbox every day with junk mail :-(

People, do yourself a favor and don't give the scammers at BeenVerified your email address of credit card. Read the reviews here and avoid the hassle.

As Battlespeed said, you can get the same information from more reliable sources.
SafeShepherd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »

Hey everyone!  I was writing a blog post on how scummy BeenVerified is when I came upon this thread.  Just wanted to contribute some helpful information so that we can all learn something from this shady shady company.

First, lets take a look at their refund policy: "We allow customers a 7 day grace period after being billed to receive a refund if they do not wish to continue their BeenVerified membership. Please note this grace period only applies to customers that have not used the service during those 7 days. If you use the service after your free trial expires, we will be unable to issue you a refund."

Are you freaking kidding me!? You can only get a refund if you didn't use their product during the 7 day trial!?  Why on earth would you ever put your credit card info in for a product that you wouldn't at least get a free trial from...this is such a scam it makes me sick!

Second, I wanted to show everyone how to opt out of BeenVerified so that your name won't show up on their slimy data base (I mean do you really want literally anyone to be able to find out your full name, address, phone number, and names of your children? Didn't think so).  Here it is:

"If you choose to do so, opt-ing out of BeenVerified is easy. Please send an email to support@beenverified.com and supply the following information.

Your name as shown on our site
Your Age
Current address (City, State, Zip)
Previous addresses
Listed Relatives

Please note that we cannot guarantee like or similar records from reappearing in the future. Public records come from multiple sources and are constantly being updated and there is no one universal system for identifying individuals that can provide a total opt out. If a like or similar record appears in the future, please feel free to simply email us and we will remove that as well."

Basically you can opt out, but your information might pop up on their data base again in the future...shady shady shady

If this makes you angry and you want more control over your online privacy check out SafeShepherd.com.  We will remove you from all of the people search websites and marketing data bases that sell your info, and will continue to monitor these same sites to ensure that when your info pops up again that it is immediately removed.  We are a small scrappy startup trying to do something about this giant problem.  Anyway, hope this helped shed some light on the grime that is BeenVerified.com
SafeShepherd

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:16 pm »

Also wanted to add that we are compiling a list of complaints and personal stories to really do something about these scam artists at BeenVerified.com...we will be creating numerous blog posts, infographics, and anything else we can do to make the average Joe aware of this scam.  Please contact me at noah@safeshepherd.com if you want to help take these guys down  Cool
fromthegrapevine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

I disagree with what you're saying. They should have conveyed this right in their commercials so people wouldn't get their hopes up, but its only purpose is to do a 'casual' background check - they state in their ToS it can't be used for employment , benefits, etc. So its really not official. they scour free sources for information the best they can and put it all into one. Just because they obtained the info from free sources does not mean its worthless, at all. It can be a handy tool to have to get insight.

they don't even guarantee the results will be accurate, but they legally must remove inaccurate results within 30 days of written notice of proof by the person complaining.

my experience with been verified:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqScPQamCYw&feature=plcp

personally, I did not get spammed by this company and I canceled within 7 days by phone without any problems.

basioye

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:51 am »

i agree with you dear
reeplebef
ugg 5251 boots eaxwb7317
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »

cheap uggs   For instance, the accounting department must be responsible for invoicing, and budgets, and banking, and every other aspect of the businesses financial structure, and they are increasingly required to have these duties done in a shorter amount of time Which is definitively not good for your company Moreover, there are so tiny spy microphones that you could barely see them from a distance even if they aren’t hidden from youIt is obvious that the implementation of the flowers in the landscape, always meant great detail in the landscape aesthetic value to be formed in the garden, since the performance of the landscape, will be given through the eyes of an artist there that у flowers to be present within the applied landscape gardens, represent unique shapes, beautiful and very original

cheap uggs   To find Unsecured loans for logbook , Secured vehicle finance visit logbookloansaspArticle 1888articles Outsourcing accounting services are a guaranteed way towards the reduction of costs and are a boon for small business ventures Therefore before you assign translation work to a company, first you need to find out where your target audience is located

cheap uggs   Stick the cartoon sticker with vinyl and you have created a wonderful sticker I remember car pooling to Brooklyn every morning and one particular passenger would talk nonstopThese banners would do wonder for you and would be a perfect solution for all high end exhibition display stands This solution not only saves time but also aids in reducing miscellaneous expenditure

www.uggsforcheapneed.com   The best method to advertise your towing company is to display the company name and business contact number so if anyone need they will call you Both types of theft leave you with less profit and the negative feelings of knowing that someone took something that belonged to you Foreign firms appoint local agents for the Pakistan market to provide them with market intelligence and to followup on sales We also get protection from intense heat

www.cheapuggsforpeople.com   JonesLearning how to make money with affiliate marketing isn't rocket science Rugs should be chosen to match the finish and decor of the room they will be placed in Both type of camp could last from a single day or a week time or even moreThe Montreal Airport Limousine Service is one of the premiere limousine services that you can employ on your trips to Canada

bailey button ugg on sale cheap   wrnyz0160
classic short uggs how high   nqzlt2559
australian sheepskin boots sydney   gpjqt9356
reeplebef
uggs boots outlet net contactus xbptf0178
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

www.uggsforcheapprices.com   ve come to recognize that this work is not lostEstablished B2B websites only include credible businesses listed with them This credit is very easy to gain I will never forget the first time that I used a dowsing pendulum and was absolutely astounded by the fact that it really worked

www.uggsforcheapprices.com   Let’s say your friend is a fashion enthusiast then you could gift her a set of apparel boxes with interesting color combinations and sets of decorations on the boxesAbout AuthorLodi Metals, IncCheap flyers can help businesses as they are a free and direct form of communicating to the publicR

ugg boot   Some points to consider with regard to landscaping and flowers, areThe landscaping is always looking for the best results, so the flowers can be placed nо anyway о by mere chance, but the presence of flowers should be the result of finding a balance, together with beautyValue in my opinion is the ability to get more for less To find out more about Cameron, visit expertsummariesaspxArticle 1888articles

www.cheapuggsforsalespecial.com   From starting a business and finding the right investor to selecting a venture capital and finding the right business partner, investment guidance websites guide you in almost every aspect of your commercial enterprise Gravity is in reality not steady on Earth If you're thinking of RVing to Idaho, visit Bankston Motor Homes for a wide selection of vehicles Therefore, I've assembled a guide to teach you how to look and what to look for when you perform a car service check

www.cheapuggsforpeople.com   Toronto limos also cater to graduations, proms and school parties Hence, the finance seekers are not asked to put up any sort of valuable assets as a guarantee for securing the loan amount You do not need to invest in getting the set ready, bringing in the artists and other organizing expenses And if you are facing any hassle, call the customer care centre and following the instructions

women's classic short sparkles silver uggs   ljynp6438
women's classic tall ugg boots black   thbnl5161
:ugg joslyn black   myfhc7675
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print

Consumer Complaints Forum  |  Consumer Complaints  |  Scams, Scammers and Fraudsters  |  Topic: BeenVerified.com is Nothing but a Scam

Jump to: